Director Global Value, Access and Pricing – Rare Disease – Boston Biotech
Director Global Value, Access and Pricing – Rare Disease
My client, a global, publicly traded, rare disease division of a larger pharma company, is based in Boston MA. They combine groundbreaking science with a steadfast commitment to meeting the needs of patients living with severe, life-threatening, and often ultra-rare diseases. The company’s scientists are among the first in the world to unlock the therapeutic potential of inhibiting terminal complement, a group of that play an important role in the body’s immune response and can destroy healthy tissue in certain patients. They are driven by the following values: Find Answers, Change the World, and Create a Legacy.
This patient-centric organization offers a collaborative culture of like-minded individuals gathered around a common goal. Smart, driven, high-performing colleagues for you to partner with! Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you can make a real difference!
They have the best of both worlds at this organization…the autonomy to be the experts in the field that they are, but also the backing and resources of large pharma to support them. They have a solid rare disease pipeline with 8-10 launches anticipated in the next couple of years!
Currently seeking a Director Global Value, Access and Pricing to be part of the dynamic and growing Global Value, Access, and Pricing (GVAP) team with responsibility for the development of global pricing and reimbursement (P&R) strategies and integrated value platforms for its Complement assets across multiple indications in chronic and acute care settings.
- 10+ years Market Access & Pricing across a min of 2 major markets (US, EU5, JP, Canada)
- Exp to include pricing strategy, reimbursement/health technology assessment (HTA)/access strategy, etc.
- Exp not dominated by HEOR, US (or any single market), Govt Price Reporting, Contracting, Payer Marketing, etc.
- < 75% of career experience in HEOR and < 50% in HEOR in the last 4 years
- Rare disease, orphan drug, specialty disease (i.e., novel immunology or oncology) or novel biologics experience
- Project management, project planning/scoping exp
- Management consultancy exp in addition to pharma company exp is a plus
- Regional / in-country exp is a plus, as well as regional launch
- Biologic pipeline exp is a plus
As a Director within the GVAP Team, you will lead the development and execution of value, access, and pricing strategies for launch assets to support patient access to our medicines. You will also represent GVAP as a member of cross-functional asset programs, requiring collaboration, communication, and leadership.
This is a strategic role leveraging your understanding and application of global health care systems, competitive insights, and clinical understanding to shape market access, pricing, and reimbursement success for critical launches and indication expansions.
The ideal candidate has a deep applied understanding of global payer / HTA trends in the development of market access, pricing, and reimbursement, as well as successful value creation and communication within the biopharma industry.
The Director will be responsible for the development and execution of P&R strategy and activities, incorporation of both acute and chronic indications in the portfolio, as well as future potential assets & indications. The AD/Director will represent the GVAP function at the relevant Global Program Teams / Global Launch Teams as well as other cross functional global teams and will be an integral partner with the team. The Director will work in the Boston office.
- Develop Global market access and pricing strategies and market access roadmaps in close partnership with global value, launch, and program teams
- Lead and manage efforts to analyze, synthesize, and translate developments and challenges in the P&R landscape globally into meaningful decision points, recommendations, strategies, and tactics for the company’s products and assets
- Communicate and partner directly with internal cross-functional global teams and regional/country teams including R&D, medical, legal, commercial, and corporate communications in an efficient manner
- Provide input into clinical development programs
- Conduct payer and value assessments to identify key market specific P&R drivers and barriers to develop differentiated value propositions, inform evidence generation plans, regulatory strategy, and development decisions
- Develop global pricing recommendations for the company assets
- Create and roll out of strategic value, access and pricing communication tools and materials to support local P&R submissions and negotiations
- Represent GVAP perspective and strategy across various cross-functional teams (including Global Program Teams, Global Launch Teams)
- Keep up to date with scientific developments, bringing the latest techniques and analyses to build the strongest possible value proposition
- Partner with HEOR and development teams to execute a plan to address identified data gaps through HEOR studies, publications, and messaging
- Understand the patient perspective of the disease and recommend strategies that can support the patient voice in key payer negotiations.
- Demonstrate ability to take initiative and consistently deliver high-quality work products
- Coordinate and oversee projects with external consultants
- Communicate frequently and effectively with company leadership and other identified stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in pricing strategy, reimbursement/health technology assessment (HTA), etc. This experience should be < 75% HEOR career to-date and < 50% last 4 years
- Experience should not be dominated by HEOR experience or US experience (or any single market only experience), Government Price Reporting, Contracting, Payer Marketing
- Prior rare disease, orphan drugs or specialty diseases (i.e., novel immunology or oncology), or novel biologics experience required
- Pricing & Market Access expertise is required across at least 2 major markets (US; EU-major 5: UK, DE, FR, IT, ES; JP; Canada)
- Relevant drug development and/or commercialization experience within the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry
- Knowledge of the needs and expectations of national and regional payers, insurers, and commercial customers in our strategic markets
- Solid knowledge of global P&R requirements and trends is essential, as is an in-depth understanding of payers and their perspective in the key markets
- Several years of previous project leadership experience in the generation of payer evidence or development/execution of payer commercial strategies (e.g., Value, Market Access, Pricing and Reimbursement, Health Economics)
- Project management, project planning/scoping, consultative leadership/indirect leadership and effective communication across altitudes and cross-functionally
- Experience working with clinicians, pharmacists, and payers on evidence-based customer solutions, e.g., through working with local payers in EU or commercial customers in the US
- Experience constructing payer value stories and incorporation into TPPs
- Experience in country or regional pharmaceutical role is a plus
- Ability to take people with you and bring the best out of others
- Relevant graduate degree, e.g. PharmD, biomedical science, business, or economics is a plus
- Candidates should have significant experience leading and managing teams and of working closely with senior corporate leaders. They should know how to effectively manage annual budgets and allocate resources accordingly
- An in-depth understanding of the legal and regulatory environment of the pharmaceutical industry is essential, as are demonstrated integrity on work-related compliance considerations and solid ethics