When you decide to take your next career step, write out your personal and professional goals to see if they align. The following questions can help you clarify your objectives:
- What does your ideal job look like?
- What do you like about your current job?
- What’s missing?
- What assets will you bring to a new company?
After you have answered these questions,
take the following steps:
- Career management. Take control of your career by taking the steps necessary to achieve your objectives.
- Size of company that you are most comfortable in
- List several companies that have what you are looking for
- Are you willing to relocate (be specific)
- Preferred working environment
- Is there anything that would keep you from resigning tomorrow
- Support. Be sure that your family endorses your choices. Remember…you will want to move fast when an offer is tendered.
- Networking. Your career network should include friends, current and former colleagues, vendors, industry contacts and recruiters.
- Skills. Today’s economic environment is constantly changing. Make sure your skills are up-to-date.